Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Spelling Bee: Smart Ass

As I teach writing to a student that hates the mere idea of putting his ideas onto paper, I am reminded about how I think. When I brainstorm, it goes everywhere, and often changes the direction of the initial idea drastically.

Example: I wanted to write about being a smart ass. I am one. Self proclaimed not ashamed. The joke has always been that if you graduate from my high school, you must excel in the topic. My brainstorm began with the two words, went through a clever definition, and yada yada yada it ended with breastfeeding. WHAT?!

Let me take you through my steps. I think the term probably originated in early civilizations when donkeys were used as cheap labor. If you had a smart donkey, it was probably rare. This donkey was also stubborn. I think smart ass people are stubborn, for sure! I think they also are smart asses to protect themselves from actually sharing their true feelings; donkey's couldn't tell their cheap owners they didn't want to tow that big bag o' rocks, coffee beans, what have you, and so they'd just go slowly to avoid the inevitable. Because how often does a smart ass get to the point? A smart ass comment is a stall before the truth. What is truth? Honesty. Why is honesty hard? Because it leaves you vulnerable. What else leaves you vulnerable? Having a baby gnawing on your nipples. Hence...breastfeeding.

Phew!

No comments: